Welcome to the Knysna Art Society website. Where we endeavour to grow the "Art Buzz" of the Garden Route.
The Knysna Art Society has emerged out a highly creative community of Knysna, known for the Infamous beauty of the Garden Route in Southern Africa. We endeavour to be the HUB and Grapevine of a very unique, special place in the world.
The Old Gaol Gallery is open from 09h00 - 16h00 on weekdays and 09h00 - 12h30 on Saturdays.
Feel free to browse the site and order the artwork online.
KACS is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting public awareness of contemporary art, to honouring its traditions and to furthering its development.
It is the vision of KACS:
• To promote the Visual Arts as a living art form
• Give artists opportunity to exhibit their work to the public
• Foster awareness
• Undertake Art Projects & assist artists to develop their skills
• To ensure art & form & techniques are passed on to the next generation
"Cultivating the field of art since 1969"
• The Knysna Art Society was first formed some 50 years ago. • The first meetings were held in the old Art Centre above the Post Office in Montague Street. Dorothy Burger, the then chairperson, invited various prominent artists to exhibit their work on screens wheeled down to the St. Georges’ Church Hall where the first Annual Art Exhibitions were held.
• When the Old Gaol became vacant, the Art Society applied for and were given a section for a Gallery. All renovations had to be paid by the Society. An appeal was launched and the generous public of Knysna donated the necessary funds. • In 1972, through the help of Dale Elliott and many others, funds were raised from the generous Knysna public to save the Old Gaol complex from demolition and the society took occupation of a section for their gallery headquarters.
• Initially the society mounted a permanent exhibition and the very special members’ exhibition was only displayed annually. • This successful tradition continues today but now forms one of the many diverse exhibitions filling the very active Knysna Art Gallery calendar. KACS has since grown to an organization of nearly 160 individuals.
Contributing to the Knysna Art Society Website
The following information will assist you: click here to download instructions
P. O. Box 408
Cnr Main & Queen Streets
Tel: 044 382 7124
Our Gallery Curator is Tracy Taylor. She is always willing and able to help you with any information regarding Membership, Exhibition bookings, Members exhibitions, Advertising etc.
See Gallery times below and phone number above.
The Old Gaol Gallery is open from 09h30 - 15h30 on weekdays and 09h30 - 13h00 on Saturdays.
We hope New Members will be inspired to produce exciting Art or Craft. We hope all will enjoy participating in our activities.
‘Application for membership’ Card may be filled in and handed to Tracy, at the Old Gaol Gallery, Queen St, together with Membership fee (current 2013/2014 = R150 per annum)
2013 National* Membership Dues
• Individual Member R150 • Institutional Member R200 • Junior Membership R50
* Those wishing to join KACS should register and pay a joining fee of R50.
Two Ways to Join/Renew Your Membership
• Online - Pay by Credit Card • By Mail - Pay by Check, Cash or with PayPal (debit or credit)
Please use surname as reference
- Free Stitch
- People of South Africa
- South African Landscapes
- South African Stories
- Still Life